Monday, October 3, 2011

Assignment 5

1. According to the slides how do we define power, prestige, and privileges and give an example of each.
 Power is the ability to force another person to do something against their will. An example of this would be someone who has a lot of money, resources, and opportunities that people have to provide themselves with material goods and favorable living conditions.
Prestige means the respect and status in society. An example of this would be is a group of people who share the same lifestyle and often identify with each other.
Privileges are a special benefit or advantage enjoyed by individuals but not all. An example of this would be people who have access to special advantages such as attendance at elite universities. 

2. Also, what three variables do Sociologists use to define social class? How would you define your social class and why?


Sociologist’s three variables to define class are Privilege, prestige and Power.
I would define my class as privilege. I say this because I get to enjoy going to college and get myself a career to better myself in the future. A lot of people I know and talk to cannot go to college because they can’t afford it. I am very thankful to be where I am today.

3. Think about how your race/ethnicity or gender or age has blocked you from an opportunity or given you an advantage.
Thinking about my race/ethnicity I can definitely say it has given me an advantage. I say this because I know there a lot of people out there who do not get a job because of their race. I happen to get things given to me a lot more easily. I applied for my job where I am at, and they liked how I had experience and was young, compared to the other girl who did not have experience and of another race, he gave me the job instead. He was also going to pay the other girl a dollar less than me if he hired her.
4. Please identify your age, or gender of race/ethnicity and then tell me your story.

I am 21 years old, female and my race/ethnicity is white. My story is everything has been going along smoothly in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment