Friday, September 23, 2011

Assignment 3

Well my family and I are considered white Race and I am mostly English. I think my race and ethnicity is very important because I like to know where my ancestors are from and I think it is interesting to know about my culture. Every Race has different beliefs amongst social and personal lifestyles and it is interesting to know how people think and how they live their lives compared to how some one of a different race lives theirs.
After Looking at the census sheet and reviewing questions 7 and 8, I would answer question 7 as:
I'm 21 years old and my birthday is May 19, 1990. 
For question 8 I would answer as:
" NO, not of Hispanic, Latino or Spanish Origin"
As for my parents My mom and dad were both born in New jersey and My mom's parents. As for My dads parents, his mother was born in Yorkshire, England and his dad was born in the United States. My Dad's Mom  came to the United States when she was 31 years old. 

 DOLL VIDEO:
After watching the doll video the first thing that struck me was that colored kids were picking the white doll as the "nicer one," or the "prettier one." I thought that maybe kids of their own race would pick their own race but that did not happen. 
I think children of color picked the white doll because in today's society people think that girl with blonde hair or nice hair and good body are the best looking people compared to everyone else. From looking at the media and social construction, people think in their minds that these are the pretty people. In reality, everyone is beautiful in their own way and that is what people have to find within themselves.  
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment